I don't think QT3 Mix obeys the sound volume. You need to use BuddyAPI to
set the system volume directly. This has been a known issue for some time.

If I understand what you are attempting, your code could be rewritten more
simply as:

on startmovie
   -- Try to use QT3Mix if at all possible
  if the soundDevice <> "Qt3Mix" then
     set the soundDevice = "Qt3Mix"
  end if

  -- If setting it to QT3Mix fails, try to use DirectSound
  if the soundDevice <> "Qt3Mix" then
      set the soundDevice = "DirectSound"
  end if
end startMovie

Another option would be to use DirectSound if it is available, and only
revert to QT3Mix if MacroMix is in use (i.e. DirectSound is not available)
  if the soundDevice = "MacroMix" then
      set the soundDevice = "Qt3Mix"
  end if

More details in Chapter 15 of DiaN, free online at the URL in my signature.

Bruce

> Thank You very much for your valuable suggestions.
>I have the following script in the movie script
>
>on startmovie
>  if the soundDevice <> "MacroMix" then
>    set the soundDevice = "Qt3Mix"
>  else
>    if the soundDevice <> "Qt3Mix" then
>      set the soundDevice = "DirectSound"
>    else
>      if the soundDevice <> "Qt3Mix" then
>        set the soundDevice = "Qt3Mix"
>      end if
>    end if
>  end if
>  end
>
> Now if i play the exe file, the sound is very low on  NT machines.When
>i am playing the exe file machine's default volume control option is
>getting automatically set to very low volume.Still no luck. Is it machine
>problem??I will check it with my Admin.

Bruce Epstein, Zeus Productions, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 732-940-2800
Check out LAST CALL - The Ultimate Bartending Sim:
http://www.zeusprod.com/games/lastcall.html
--------
Director and Lingo in a Nutshell (DiaN/LiaN) kick butt.
Free Sample Chapters: http://www.zeusprod.com/nutshell/downloads/
--------