>The problem is that the font maping for Greek on the Mac is different to
>the one on the PC . The result is that when the project runs on a Mac you
>can't read anything because the font characters are substituted by
>completely wrong ones.

Are you sure you are using the embedded font? If you have <<Arial Greek>>
on your Windows system, then Director will call the embedded font <<Arial
Greek *>> by default. Make sure your text is formatted using the embedded
font, not the system font.

Hopefully, that will work. But a word of caution--the Greek Macintosh
system, for some reason, isn't Apple. It's developed by a Greek
company--probably in cooperation with Apple. It's a bit of an oddity, sort
of like Simplified Chinese Windows, the only Windows version not developed
in Redmond.

Here's something I learned from Terry Schussler. When you import a font,
don't accept Director's default addition of an asterisk at the end.
Instead, put the asterisk at the beginning--IOW, <<* Arial Greek>> instead
of <<Arial Greek *>>. That way, all your embedded fonts will show up first,
and you're less likely to mix up the embedded and system fonts.

I'm also curious--are you developing on Greek Windows? Is your font a true
Greek font--i.e., does it use code page 1253? Director 7 dropped support
for code pages other than 1252 (Latin 1), and I'd be happy to find out that
they restored it in D8. I'd appreciate knowing the system and version of
Director you're using.

<rant param name="severity" value="mild">
You're right about the font mapping being different on the Mac. For some
reason, Apple has yet to adopt ISO 8859, the standard which defines
single-byte font mapping. That standard includes 10 different mapping
schemes--8859.1 for Western European (including English), 8859.2 for
Central European, 8859.4 for Cyrillic, 8859.7 for Greek, and so on.

ISO 8859.1 is essentially the same as ANSI, Window's font-mapping system
for Western Europe. It may be useful to note that Windows is NOT an ASCII
system--ASCII is a 7-bit standard, and only defines the first 128
characters. ANSI, ISO 8859.1, and the Mac encoding system are all
identical, though, in their mapping of the lower 128 characters.

Fortunately, the world is moving towards XML as a universal data
representation, and XML is Unicode-based. Windows NT is also native
Unicode. Maybe some day Director will support Unicode as well.
</rant>
Cordially,
Kerry Thompson
Learning Network