>I've done the same with fontsize, with the same result--the entire
>cast member (and sprite) ends up the same font and spacing.

The solution is to put hard returns at the end of each visual line.
You can do that by using the charpostoloc() function to work out
where the lines will break. Put a hard return where ever the locv of
the char's position changes, and then you can set individual line
heights to get the effect you want.