Hi Emmanuel

I sympathise with you, I've been working on a huge project for the last couple of
months trying to integrate flash into director and it is very frustrating at times. If
you search on www.director-online.com you will find a couple of articles that deal
with setting variables in embedded flash movies, it should work in reverse too.

I've just run a quick test to see if a similar approach works for getting variables,
and it does! Here's what I did: The first thing is to make sure the top level flash
movie is not static, it has to loop around at least 2 frames in order for it to be
updated with any values within the embedded movie... e.g

frame 1, script: embeddedVar = /embeddedMovie/:myVar
frame 2, script: gotoAndPlay(1)

where "embeddedMovie" is the instance name of your movie "anim2.swf".

This way whenever you change the value of the text variable in your embedded movie it
will be reflected in the value of the variable in the top level.

then in Director you can simply retrieve the value from the top level flash movie...
e.g.

on mouseUp
  variable = sprite (3).getVariable("embeddedVar ")
  put variable
end

This is how I've been doing it anyhow, others may have other ideas. Please send an
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] requesting them to hurry up and release an update to
the flash xtra that is compatible with flash 5!

HTH

Jonny Jetset

Want free email? Sign up at http://www.freeze.com !