At 05:00 2/10/2001, Steven Frazier wrote:
>Hello  - Need help here.

Wow, Steven.

If you're not getting any responses it's likely because your questions are
too broad. And repeating the request over and over again on multiple lists
just tends to annoy people.

Another reason could be that your messages read very much like a first
meeting with a prospective client. Once someone agrees that all this can be
done, the next step might be contract negotiation or planning and the clock
could start at any second. It just looks as if you're asking the folks on
these lists to do the programming for you - something that most (if not
all) of us get paid for. If you actually ARE looking for freelance or
consulting help you might mention it somewhere.

Otherwise, go ahead and start the project. Start by using the commands and
ideas we discussed on Lingo-L. Try some of the methods in the articles I
mentioned. Keep the Lingo Dictionary handy by your side (F1 is your
friend). Don't forget to check the archives as yours is certainly not the
first "image database" type of project - although it may be the first one
to use the paste function. When you run into problems with a specific area
then you can ask more specific questions and you stand a better chance of
getting help here.

These mailing lists are ideal places for us to help each other out when we
run into a specific problem, but not for going through the planning &
design stages of a complete project. When we ask a specific question about
Director/Lingo, explain what we've already tried and what specifically
isn't working, and supply the errant Lingo if applicable, then we provide
enough information for others to fix the problem, find a work-around, or
offer condolences :-(.

Some links to keep handy:
http://listserv.uark.edu/archives/direct-l.html
http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/
http://www.director-online.com/
http://www.mediamacros.com/index.htm
http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/
http://clevermedia.com/resources/
http://www.behaviors.com/
http://www.updatestage.com/
and tons more as mentioned on several of the above sites.

Dive in, the water's fine!

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)