for some reason, it seems to prefer the syntax

  put "B" into txt.item[1].char[3]

instead of

txt.item[1].char[3] = "B"

but it will do what you want it to that way..

--bhakti

Andy Driscoll wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> OK, been doing the Lingo thing professionally for over 6 years now and
> I'm stumped...
> (and thanks to John Sweeney for verifying that I'm NOT crazy and
> suggesting I share this one...)
>
> Same thing-- 2 different ways of doing it.
> First method trys to manipulate string in a variable, second manipulates
>
> the contents of a text field.
>
> Any idea why this is???!!! (Please see below...)
>
> -AD
>
> Last line of first method produces error...
>
> ------- METHOD 1, PRODUCES ERROR ------------
>
> txt = "Andy*is*cool"
>
> the itemDelimiter = "*"
>
> put txt.item[1]
> -- "Andy"
>
> put txt.item[1].char[3]
> -- "d"
>
> txt.item[1].char[3] = "B" -- this produces the error, "Wrong Type"
>
> ------- METHOD 2, NO ERROR ------------
>
> put txt into field "DisplayText"
>
> put field "DisplayText"
> -- "Andy*is*cool"
>
> put member("DisplayText").item[1].char[3]
> -- "d"
>
> member("DisplayText").item[1].char[3] = "B"
>
> put field "DisplayText"
> -- "AnBy*is*cool"
>
> --
> Andy Driscoll
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
>       ****Multimedia -- Interactive Media -- Web Development****
>
> Sunzen Interact
> 200 E 5th Ave, Suite 117C
> Naperville, IL 60563
> (630)527-0300 - tel
> (630)357-8260 - fax

R. Bhakti Klein
Multimedia Programmer, Distributed Learning Workshop
http://www.dlworkshop.net/
··
Baritone, Wicki6
http://www.wicki6.com
···
"On Earth, you can only do little things;
but you can do them with a lot of Love."
                              -- Mother Theresa