>You are going the complicated route.  Just use the mouseOverButton property
>of any Flash sprite.  Example:
>if sprite(2).mouseOverButton=true then
>   cursor 280
>else
>   cursor -1
>end if
>This way if the cursor is over any button in the specified Flash sprite, it
>will be a hand, otherwise it will be the arrow.
>Stick the if statement inside of the on mousewithin handler.

That's a good tip, I didn't know about the mouseoverbutton of sprite property.

One thing to think about with cursor control is whether other sprites
are going to set it to something else. For example, if you were
pointing at a non-flash sprite that you wanted to show the hand
cursor, the above script might wreck that, because it sets the cursor
to the arrow if you're not over a button of that sprite. If the other
sprite was in a later channel you would be ok, but you might get some
cursor flickering as they fight it out.

The way I do cursors is like this:

global thecursor

on exitframe
    cursor thecursor
    thecursor = -1
    go the frame
end

Then, in any sprite that might think differently I modify the global
(taking the above example):

global thecursor

on prepareframe me
    if sprite(2).mouseoverbutton=true then thecursor = 280
end

If no sprite has said otherwise, the cursor will be the arrow, but if
any of the sprites set thecursor to another value, the topmost sprite
will win, and that's what the cursor will be like.