I'm still trying to find a way to eliminate the initial highlighting of an
editable text member, when it is assigned to a sprite.

This is a one-frame situation: the playhead doesn't move. A button on the
stage assigns various text members to the sprite. The sprite's "editable"
property is false, but the "editable" of some of the members is true. As
soon as I assign a member to the sprite, I position the insertion point in it:

sprite(x).member = member(y)
member(y).selection = [1, 1]

This works fine, but for a split second between the first line and the
second line, there is a noticeable flash as the entire text of the member
is initially selected--before my second line kills it.

I tried moving the sprite off the stage, and then moving it back to the
stage, but the flash is still there. I can't find a way to kill that
initial default selection of the entire text. When the text is more than a
few words, it is very bothersome.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Slava