At 10:35 AM 7/25/01 -0700, you wrote:

>>If someone is selling cross-platform projectors, they need to buy both sides.
>
>This is one of my pet peeves. If you've heard my rant before, feel free to
>tune out.
>
><rant>
>We're in a business, hopefully to make money. For better or worse, we have
>hitched our wagons to Macromedia's star. The better Director does, the
>better off we are as developers.
>
>Forget any personal feelings about Macromedia (I happen to like them, but
>that's irrelevant). This is relevant: if you circumvent Macromedia's
>legitimate sales, you are hurting yourself, and all the rest of us.
>
>If you're doing cross-platform projects, buy Director for both platforms,
>and add a dollar to your hourly rate. Amortize the cost over several
>projects, or pass it along to a single customer. You're doing yourself a favor.
></rant>
>

>Cordially,
>
>Kerry Thompson

Don't get too hot under the collar, Kerry.  You do have good logic, but
this whole issue was a little new to me, since MACR used to have stubs
available on their site, and MACR people used to post that it was OK on
Direct-L.  MACR's policy has changed, it makes sense, but don't take it too
personally when people wonder about other methods.

Sure, you can make someone else a "product" that's just a stub...assuming
you comply with the MACR licensing agreement and include a 4 second MACR
logo in your stub.

Most of us who've done any development realize you NEED the other platform
copy to debug and work on that platform...I suspect that many people
looking for a mac-stub probably don't even have a Mac computer.

And finally, I've just changed jobs, and for the first time in my 5+ years
of MACR programming, I have legitimate copies of all the software on my
machine and none of them are being "stretched" between multiple
machines.  Director, the OS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, etc.

The last job I had, in the US,  the salesguy said "get the sound from
Eye4U.com".
I said "I tried, but they haven't responded to my email."
"No, I think <salesguy> and <ceo> just want you to capture it." said
<projectManager>.
"Uh...you can't do that!" quoth I.
"Sure you can....just hold the microphone up to the speaker," said <ceo>.
"You can't do that" I said.
"Oh yeah, the soundcard won't play and record.  Here, let me help push this
computer closer so you can capture from a second computer." <ceo>

I ended up holding out and the client ended up buying music for the project
(or reusing music they already had the rights to (but who knows if they had
unlimited rights?)).  Eventually I convinced this company to buy A copy of
SOME of the software everyone was using, and now, almost all the employees
are working under valid work-visas.

I'm certainly not saying it's right, just realize what some people running
shoddy companies that are uncomfortable to work for are doing.  Coming
across with a little more legal, educational rant would probably help more
than just the moral or group-altruism rant.  "It's the only legal way,
now." not "You're a bad person and you're endangering our
livelihood."  Trust me, <ceo> fired the accountant out of the blue and
caused the secretary to quit by asking her to not share the financial
numbers with the guy who bought the company...he really doesn't care a lot
about whether MACR's existence is solid to make your paycheck stable.

roymeo
-----
Roy Crisman