yikes.
do you know where the movies are, relatively? the relative pathnames?
you could always set the filename of member property for the qt movies
at the beginning of the movie.
i don't know how slow it would be for 300 movies, but it's a way around
the problem.
-bhakti

debi wrote:

> I need help!
>
> I have a massive project that seems to be loosing its links to externally
> linked QuickTime movies.
>
> One minute they are there in the cast...  I can click and open them...  play
> them...  run the director file and all is well.
>
> Another time I can double-click the thumbnail image of the same cast member
> and all I get is a gray box with a control strip.  And in that case
> naturally the file will not play in the director movie.  The file seems to
> be no longer linked to the cast.  I can re-link the cast member and it will
> play, but I am not guaranteed that it will save that way and play when the
> project is opened another day.
>
> I have talked extensively with technical support at Macromedia.   It doesn't
> help to know that "I am the only person that has reported this problem."
>
> The only suggestion I have from them is that this might possibly be an issue
> with Media Cleaner and the way it processes QuickTime files.
>
> I processed over 300 video clips that seemed to work fine during the initial
> testing.  And most continue to work now.  But there are those that will
> loose the link in the cast.  At least when I double-click the thumbnail I
> get nothing.
>
> They were processed through Media Cleaner version 4.0.3  using the
> professional version of Sorenson version 2.   To create QuickTime movies
> included in a Director 8.0 project on Windows 98 and Windows NT computers.
>
> The problem has appeared in edit mode and as a projector.  It is sporadic..
> I cannot predict which movies will play and which will not.  Today, ones
> that were great for months failed to open.
>
> I have had the problem on various windows machines and with different
> projects.  So it seems to be more on the side of director having trouble
> with reading the file as opposed to an operating or system problem.
>
> Like I said, one minute the file is linked, the next it is not, or may not
> be.  And sometimes if I close director and start over all is well...
> sometimes not.
>
> But one thing is for sure, it is Director 8.0.  QuickTime 4.1.2,  QuickTime
> files compressed with Sorenson 2, with an average of 80kps.
>
> If any of you can shed some light, please let me know.
>
> Debi
>
> (I really do miss mTropolis)

R. Bhakti Klein
Instructional Media Developer, Distributed Learning Workshop
http://www.dlworkshop.net/
··
Baritone, Wicki6
http://www.wicki6.com
···
"On Earth, you can only do little things;
but you can do them with a lot of Love."
                              -- Mother Theresa