I would suggest the second LPAR approach, if anything for the separation
of function.  Until you can get it defined, you can certainly run the
test VM second level.

Moeur Tim C wrote:
Good morning List,

I have a question of general test and production architecture.   We
currently have some production zLinux guests running under z/VM 5.1.
z/VM is installed as an LPAR on our single Z9 server.   We had, until
recently, a second Z9 on which I was running a test VM which I could use
to apply and verify maintenance and program fixes.  After those fixes
have been deemed OK, we'd move them to the production VM system
(VMPROD).    Now,  The VMTEST Z9 has gone away and now I'm faced with a
choice of creating a second LPAR for VMTEST, or to run VMTEST as a guest
under VMPROD.

So the question is - is running my VMTEST as a guest of VMPROD good
practice?  Are there exposures to flawed maintenance or program fixes
that wouldn't surface when the platform is running as a VM Guest?   How
are those of you with current production and test VM systems doing this?

Tim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007