This is totally amazing to me:  There is z/Linux and not z/BSD because
way back at the dawn of time there was a lawsuit involving 4.4BSD and
so GNU/Linux became the flagship open source  operating system (when
Linux came out it was a toy, and BSD was a serious software product.)
Now, despite the fact that Microsoft has been legally embattled for a
decade and a half, and despite countless rulings against them by the
EU, NOBODY seems worried that Microsoft's lgal troubles could spell
trouble for Windows support down the line.

If you ask me, the only Microsoft product with real long-term
potential is xbox.  Right now Microsoft has a choice.  Rework M$
Office such that it will happily and effectively inter-operate with
other office productivity suites, or stop selling M$ Office in Europe.
 Difficult decision, since an inter-operable M$ Office is an M$ Office
your company can finally afford to replace with OpenOffice.org, and
not selling office in Europe will lead to a slow but steady loss of
market-share that will have the same effect.

Microsoft doesn't know how to write software for professionals.  Their
best stuff has always been targeted at people who want their computer
as easy to use (and as functional) as a toaster oven.  Their ongoing
participation in the enterprise software world is almost sure to end
as the various anti-trust proceedings and other efforts to punish
their obscenely anti-competitive business practices pick up steam.

I realize that betting against M$ isn't popular but I cannot predict
anything positive for their professional tools.  Xbox, on the other
hand, well... if xbox were a publicly traded subsidiary that's where
my money would be.  And for the record, I own exactly NO M$ stock.

Erik Johnson