Hi, thank's for this update.
Here comes some feedback.
It is a very good source for info in this matter, and explains a lot of stuff
you need to know.
I have read the previous ones and tried to implement it.
It was however tricky, most due to that reality changes (like: oops, we need
more space on /opt )
and it is a couple of lines of code to make work and maintain.
The bind mount is a source of failure, or not ? What happens if it does not
work for some reason ?
I guess the original mountpoint takes effect, and that one can be at a
read-only disk. When was that
one updated last ? And we have duplicate storing here ?
My prime concern here was /etc, I wanted that one on a separate minidisk to be
safe.
I saw last in the pdf you have one guy,Carlos Ordonez, always asking: isn't
there a simpler way to do this ?
I like that guy :)
About creating clones, we have made another approach.
Every server configures the network/ip itself at every boot, and at first boot
there is a
script cleaning out old logs and other stuff remaining from setting the
clonebase up.
So we don't prepare a clone, just clone any server and it will fix itself at
first boot.
(Well, normally we clone from one clonebase, that makes it safer and you need
the clonebase shutdown,
 but we can always clone any server that is shutdown)
To have this working in SLES10 :
We set a number of FKeys in the VM profile to for example: IPNR=1.2.3.4
and MASK=255.255.255.0 and GATEWAY=1.2.3.0 and so on.
Then we get these values via vmcp in /etc/init.d/boot.local, and sets the
ipconfig values.
And whatever you need or want to set here.
This also makes it easy to move servers around in different
network(security)zones, just
change in the VMprofile and reboot.

Cordialement / Vriendelijke Groeten / Best Regards / Med Vänliga Hälsningar
  Tore Agblad

   Volvo Information Technology
   Infrastructure Mainframe Design & Development
   SE-405 08, Gothenburg  Sweden
   E-mail: tore.agb...@volvo.com

   http://www.volvo.com/volvoit/global/en-gb/