On Saturday, 08/15/2020 at 02:25 GMT, Grzegorz Powiedziuk
<gpowiedz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for verification! If timestamps are correct then this step
> literally takes a very brief moment. So I suspect that that final memory
> pass takes so much time, or am I wrong?
> So how much usually does it take to vmrelocate a 100-200G vm?  Just an
> estimate ... do I have to worry with my 30 seconds?

As you've noted "it depends".  A 30 second relocation doesn't bother me,
but a 30 second quiesce time does.

For Very Large Guests, it's typically better to use application clusters
so that you don't need to move the guests.  Just take one down and let the
other members take the load.  E.g. I wouldn't use LGR on an Oracle db,
given it's failover capabilities.  Let the standby Oracle instance take
over.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323