Excerpts from Alexey A Nikitin's message of 2011-03-10 12:30:54 -0500:
> 2011/3/10 Chris Mason <chris.ma...@oracle.com>
> >
> > Which kernel were you on?  Was btrfs directly accessing the disks or
> > were things like LVM in use?
> > Recent kernels (.37 and higher) have improved support for barriers in
> > LVM and friends, but btrfs directly using the disks should have been
> > safe for a long time.
>
> Now that's funny. I'm using  2.6.32-5-amd64 from Debian Wheezy and
> while btrfs on top of LVM works perfectly stable I have now trouble
> with FS that is directly on partition. Does it make difference
> stability-wise if partition table on disk is GPT rather than
> old-school MS-DOS? Because all my disks, LVM and non-LVM, are set with
> GPT.

LVM is very reliable, the only time you run into trouble is if you have
a drive with writeback cache enabled (99.99% of sata drives) and LVM
isn't passing the barriers through.  GPT vs MS-DOS isn't crucial, its
just important that if you have a writeback cache,  you either get the
barriers down to the drive or you turn off the writeback cache.

-chris