On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:17:25PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I don't understand this:
>>
>> /dev/mmcblk0p3 on / type btrfs
>> (rw,noatime,seclabel,compress=zlib,nossd,ssd_spread,space_cache,commit=150,subvolid=260,subvol=/root)
>>
>> The fstab uses ssd_spread. It looks like during startup the initial
>> option is ssd via autodetection and then at switchroot time, when it
>> goes ro to rw, the fstab options are applied and it becomes
>> ssd_spread. Fine.
>>
>> Then later I tried
>>
>> mount -o remount,ssd
>>
>> To go back to regular ssd option, but nothing happens, mount still
>> shows ssd_spread.
>
> ssd_spread implies ssd.

OK so it's possible to remount from ssd to ssd_spread but not back to
ssd? If I trust the mount output, it's only possible to transition
from ssd to ssd_spread, but not from ssd_spread to ssd.

>> And then if I do
>>
>> mount -o remount,nossd
>>
>> I get the above mount output with nossd,ssd_spread options which would
>> seem to be a contradiction. At least it's confusing. So... now what?
>>
>> kernel 4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64
>
> Already fixed in mainline.  You need linus/master from literally today if
> your time zone is between +1 and +3 (inclusively), adjust by one day
> accordingly if not.
>
> Or cherry-pick 951e79663.

OK thanks.

Is this just fixing a mount bug? Or also with kernel messaging? I see
the enabling of ssd and spread, but I don't see a kernel message when
unsetting them. For the kernel messaging to be consistent, it'd need
to always report a message when allocation strategy is being changed.

--
Chris Murphy