On Fri 2017-09-15 (13:16), Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:

> >> And then mount enryptfs:
> >>
> >> mount.ecryptfs /<MOUNTPOINT_ENCRYPTED> /<MOUNTPOINT_DECRYPTED>
> >
> > This only possible by root.
> > For a user it is not possible to have access for his own snapshots.
> > Bad.
>
> Which is why you use EncFS (which is a FUSE module that runs in
> userspace and requires no root privileges) instead of eCryptFS (which is
> a kernel assisted filesystem that doesn't use FUSE, has more complicated
> setup constraints, and requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN or root access).

I use both, encfs and ecryptfs, for different use cases.
I use ecryptfs on my notebooks for $HOME, which has some kind of
automounter on login (via pam).
This setup is not possible with encfs, which is also much slower and has
a lower security level.

But even for encfs it is very circumstantial for a user to have access to
snapshots.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK