On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Lior David wrote:

> Ok, I went out and patched the pppd software exactly according to crisk's
> suggestions, and I even reordered the lcp options so that they will be
> sent in the exact order win2000 sends them. Unfortunately, none of this
> worked - same result, even though I compared the packet sent by Linux and
> win2000 - they look almost identical. If anyone wants the patched ppp for
> testing, please send me mail.
> My current conclusion is, unless I made a mistake with the patch(it's
> quite possible), that the problem is not with the ppp options. It might be
> a bug in the IP stack of the orckit modem which causes it to ignore the
> pptp packets sent by Linux...

Please make the patched pppd and the Win2000 and modified Linux captures
available to us (me) for testing. If the first LCP packet is identical,
and we know that the PPTP packets work fine, then the only thing I can
think of right now is an error in the processing of the higher level GRE
(IPPROTO 47) packets. I will confirm this given a decent sniff.

It's seems incredibly odd that the modem knows the caller uses Windows
or Linux by any other means than the data it gets via the network.
Identical network data == identical response, that's the reason we
programmers get the big bucks.

Another possibility is that the bug is -still- in the PPTP packets,
something that causes the Orckit modem to stop processing information,
therefore it won't respond to the PPP data that follows the PPTP packets.
Mulix said the Windows PPTP and Linux PPTP (using his patched pptp)
packets are identical. If they really are, then take this out of the
equation.

If the data is COMPLETELY identical, and it still doesn't work, then
I'd try to match the packet timing. Beyond that.. who knows.

And I'd definitely mail bomb Orckit's support folk for a fixed firmware,
if it's flashable. If the newest version they sell doesn't work with
customers, it -should- get them moving to fix it.

-- crisk
                               ._
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ._/-======\\\       _

Instructions for life:
  3. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.