On Wed, May 09, 2001, Ehud Karni wrote about "Re: Bidi support for Linux":
> On Wed, 09 May 2001 12:09:04 +0300, Shai Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I suggest using the right and left arrow keys, such that:
>
> Ctrl+Shift+Left  ==> R2L direction, Hebrew (or any other R2L font)
> Ctrl+Shift+Right ==> L2R direction, Latin  (or any other L2R font)
> Alt+Shift+Left   ==> Direction unchanged, Hebrew (or any other R2L font)
> Alt+Shift+Right  ==> direction unchanged, Latin  (or any other L2R font)
>
> Of course the Alt+Shift+<arrow-key> is meaningful only for visual
> editing (which is still needed here and there).

This is an interesting suggestion.

By the way, I think there is another that some key combination we need
to do: switch the main direction of the current widget. For example, in
a one-line text widget, if the first character of the line doesn't correspond
well with the direction you want for the entire line, you'll need to
determine the main direction of the entire line explicitly. This is more
noticable in a multiline text widget.
I think that MS Windows has such a binding, but doesn't have the "direction
unchanged, font/mapping changed" you suggest (although it appears a useful
addition).

> I'm quite sure these key combinations are not used by most of todays
> applications (although simpler combination like Control-<arrow-key>
> or Shift-<arrow-key> are used).

They are not used by any application I know. Not even XEmacs binds them
by default :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Wednesday, May  9 2001, 17 Iyyar 5761
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I love deadlines. I love the whooshing