On Fri, May 17, 2002, Moshe Zadka wrote about "Re: official hebrew in Linux-IL mailing
lists?":
> On Fri, 17 May 2002, Hetz Ben Hamo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So what are the reasons for not switching our official language here from
> > English to Hebrew (not in a day, but rather in a month->2 months time
> > period)? Please reply and explain your position...
>
> * mutt

Works well with Hebrew if you use an appropriate editor (such as vim)
and a viewer (such as bidiv).
Note that editing Hebrew with Vim is a bit different than using a bidi
editor, since you have to manually switch direction yourself (usually with
a single key) while editing.

> * pms

Yeah, like that's a very commonly used MUA ;)

> * elm

Same as mutt, as this can also use an external editor and viewer.

Heck, with Pine there's the same problem/solution: the visual-order Hebrew
pine should not be used because the standard it considers Hebrew never
caught on. You should only write in logical-order Hebrew, iso-8859-8-i or
utf8.

> * nvi -- not supporting

So use vim...

> * nano -- not supporting
> * joe -- not supporting
> * jed -- not supporting)

Do you really *have* to use those to edit Hebrew emails?

> If you do use Hebrew, which encoding would you use? Win-1255? ISO-8859-8?
> UTF-8?

It doesn't matter, all utilities should be able to handle both standard
encodings (Win-1255 isn't a standard; don't use it).

> Now, let's go on. We're all UNIX users, we want to use grep, sed and
> awk on our mailboxes. Make sure I can type Hebrew in bash too, in
> all encodings expected.

How about creating a Hebrew mailing list in addition to this one, and
see how it picks up?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Friday, May 17 2002, 6 Sivan 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I put a dollar in one of those change