On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> Shlomi Fish wrote on 2003-07-25:
>

> > Hi!
> >
> > I have some Hebrew filenames on my Windows partitions. I need to export
> > them to Samba, so I set the mount options to:
> >
> > <<<
> > /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-8,codepage=862,umask=022 0 0
> > /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-8,codepage=862,umask=022 0 0
> > >>>

> > Now, I want Konqueror to display them as Hebrew filenames. However at the
> > moment it displays them in iso8859-1. Please don't tell me about mounting
> > the vfatpartitions as utf8, and using KDE_UTF8_FILENAMES - it is not an
> > option (due to the Samba sharing).
> >
> Fisrt, why is it not an option ;-?Can't samba be told to recode the
> names from UTF-8 to iso8859-8?I'm not updated on samba 3.0 but AFAIK
> it should support it well, perhaps even samba 2 will be OK.

In that case, it would be an option.

> Second, konqueror should show files according to the current locale.
> What does ``locale`` show you currently?

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE=en_US
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_TIME=en_US
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LC_MONETARY=en_US
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_PAPER=en_US
LC_NAME=en_US
LC_ADDRESS=en_US
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
LC_ALL=

> Try exporting ``LANG=he_IL``
> and/or ``LC_CTYPE=he_IL`` and check how it works with konqueror.

With either env var or both set it still does not display the filenames
with Hebrew characters.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish
> --
> Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> If I don't hack on it, who will?And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
> And if it itches, why not now?[With apologies to Hillel ;]

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There's no point in keeping an idea to yourself since there's a 10 to 1
chance that somebody already has it and will share it before you.