On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 06:29:36PM +0200, Ira Abramov wrote:

> say you had a client you worked for. One day over lunch, one of the
> guys of the R&D of a different product at the company tells you how
> they circumvent the kernel checks to load a non-GPL module and get
> all the symbols a GPL module gets.

Yuck.

> This is not exactly a GPL violation, however it makes a stock RHEL
> kernel be fooled to think this closed source module is actually GPL
> and give it access to more info than the kernel team wanted.

.. which means pretty much nothing from a technical POV. From an
ethical POV... Yuck.

> What would you do?

Depends.

> do you just protest but keep working there?

Unlikely... as you can probably recall from a company we've both
worked for in the past, people who don't respect licenses tend to not
respect their employees or contractors either.

> Inform lkml how they fooled the kernel without revieling the identity of
> the violators, just to help them patch it for the future?

The module GPL check is easily circumvented. It's not meant to defeat
an attacker, just make the wishes of the kernel community with regards
to licensing and external modules obvious.

IMNEHO, if they're distributing a binary only module they're in
violation of the kernel's license already. Circumventing the GPL check
is just one more nail in the coffin.

Cheers,
Muli