shimi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Or did you just use users dial-up/DSL/cable IP ranges in your test,
> which SHOULD be blacklisted (why would a home user need to emit SMTP
> traffic on his own instead of his ISP SMTP servers, where proper
> authentication and thus logging and auditing can be taken care of?

I am sorry? Why shouldn't I be able to use my own SMTP server and
instead be forced to rely on someone else's that might or might not
work better than mine, be blacklisted, or whatever? Why should I
*need* my own SMTP server? Sorry, but it's none of anyone's
business. Avoiding the ISP's "logging and auditing" can be reason
enough.

I recall that at one point of time, not so long ago, I found out that
a particular foreign ISP that shall remain unnamed used exactly the
type of blocking you advocate (e.g., refuse all emails not coming from
"authorized" servers - by the way, it is not blacklisting, it is
effectively whitelisting, i.e., everything is blocked by default
except what we decide to allow). I decided to switch my home SMTP
server to use my ISP (that shall remain unnamed) as smarthost, and
quickly found out that my mail no longer gets to yahoo.com. Guess what
- I send much more email to yahoo.com addresses than to the particular
foreign ISP that implemented the stupid policy. In fact, I don't think
I have sent a single email to any address of theirs ever since.

> Most RBLs will list all non-ISP-managed block ranges for the above
> reasons, regardless of their location on the globe...

And in any geographical location with half-decent regulation this
should be outlawed outright - it is not up to an ISP or carrier to
decide what service I can or cannot run on my computers.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]