Linux-Misc Digest #341, Volume #21                Mon, 9 Aug 99 15:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Wheel mouse drivers for Linux? (Stew Benedict)
  Strange bootup message in RH 6.0 (Mark Mykkanen)
  Re: guaranteed annual income ("A.T.Z.")
  Re: guaranteed annual income ("A.T.Z.")
  Re: Linux assembly, etc ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: helping the Third World (John Hasler)
  Re: PHP MySQL support with RPMs (Ken)
  Re: mounting problems ("Dr. Darren M. Crotchett")
  Re: Origin (Rob Lahaye)
  Re: Can't recall commands after upgrade to RH 6.0 (Leonard Evens)
  Re: C structure size inconsitency (Doug DeJulio)
  Re: Red Hat 6.0 Installation problem (LH Foo)
  LinuxWorld Conference/Expo in San Jose Calif. this week! (Mark S. Bilk)
  Re: Printing on Linux (Mark Walsh)
  Re: Info on Linux? (Diane Perkins)
  Re: Sendmail & popserver ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Seeking Linux UDP broadcast forwarding solution (epadin)
  Re: network performance problem ("Andrey Smirnov")
  Re: yacc libraries ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Traditional tar.gz software building (Vegard Engen)
  need help with kppp and floppies PLEASE ("Jonathan Wilson")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stew Benedict)
Subject: Re: Wheel mouse drivers for Linux?
Date: 9 Aug 1999 16:15:42 GMT

Look for imwheel, don't have the URL handy.

Stew

From: Mark Mykkanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Strange bootup message in RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:26:34 -0500

Whenever I boot my system I get this error added to my /var/log/messages
and sometimes to my boot screen...I think it has to do with the loopback
device, but I don't know what I have configured wrong.

Jul 27 00:10:42 shamu init: Entering runlevel: 3
Jul 27 00:10:45 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:0
Jul 27 00:10:45 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:1
Jul 27 00:10:45 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:2
Jul 27 00:10:47 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:49
Jul 27 00:10:47 shamu network: Bringing up interface lo succeeded

Does anybody know how I can fix this problem?

------------------------------

From: "A.T.Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: guaranteed annual income
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:47:05 +0200

Jeff schreef:

> In article <rFyr3.666$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> You don't know what you're talking about.
> >>

> > The social security system Europe is totally different from the US system.
> > In the US it's generally associated with retirement, while in Europe
> > everybody is eligible regardless of the age. One could say, that if you
> > combine the welfare with social security, that would be the europian social
> > security system. The benefits are also more generous, when compared to the
> > states. In some respect, there's no such system in place in the US.
>
> What you're saying is that eveyone is eligible to sit on their butt and do nothing
> if they so desire.

No. They don't. If someone really doesn't want to work, and keep avoiding help, he
will find his or her self with less money everytime he or she makes clear not to feel
like wanting to work. There is a minimum amount one always gets if he/she is
unemployed

> No thanks, I'll pass.

Me too.

------------------------------

From: "A.T.Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:49:56 +0200

De Messemaeker Johan schreef:

> Jeff wrote:
> >
> > > The social security system Europe is totally different from the US system.
> > > In the US it's generally associated with retirement, while in Europe
> > > everybody is eligible regardless of the age. One could say, that if you
> > > combine the welfare with social security, that would be the europian social
> > > security system. The benefits are also more generous, when compared to the
> > > states. In some respect, there's no such system in place in the US.
> >
> > What you're saying is that eveyone is eligible to sit on their butt and do nothing
> > if they so desire.
> >
> > No thanks, I'll pass.
>
> They can, but it won't do them no good.

True.

> When they do this, they receive
> very little money.

True.

> After a while, they don't get anything anymore.

Not true, at least, not in The Netherlands. One could keep on living on what the gov.
is
giving them, but it's not much.

> It doesn't work quite as good but it's a nice solution for people who
> suddenly got very ill or lost their job.

That's what the whole system is about. If one lose a job and can't find another, he or
she can eat, pay the rent, gasbills, water etc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux assembly, etc
Date: 09 Aug 1999 11:11:48 -0600

JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
> (This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
> I've been writing programs in linux and I've been wanting to
> port many of DOS programs, mainly graphics-based.
> In DOS, you use OS calls extensively, for example, in printing
> a character....

Check out http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/home.html
for some useful Linux x86 assembly programming tips.

--
Joel Squire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              Phone   (303) 409-9636
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator                  Fax     (303) 694-3885

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: helping the Third World
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:09:42 GMT

Phil Hunt writes:
> The most libertarian country currently is Somalia -- there the govmt
> taxes 0% of people's wealth, because there isn't a govmt.

On the contrary.  Somalia has a number governments, all fighting for
supremacy.  And they all "tax" (i.e., rob) everyone that doesn't "tax" them
first.

Those situations which statists hold out as examples of anarchy always turn
out to actually be polyarchy.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: PHP MySQL support with RPMs
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:32:45 GMT

John Rappold wrote:

> I have PHP running fine with Apache (on RH 6.0) but need to add support for
> MySQL with PHP. MySQL is installed with the latest RPM and working fine as
> well. After checking the PHP FAQ I downloaded the PHP source RPM and
> followed all of the steps exactly as written (uninstalled my original PHP
> RPM).
>
> I added the following line to the PHP RPM SPEC file:
>
> --with-mysql=/usr \
>
> Now, every time I do the following command:
>
> rpm -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/mod_php3.spec
>
> I get an error telling me that the mysql=.usr \ file or directory doesn't
> exist.
>
> I'm new to Linux, and want to use RPMs as I thought it would make for easier
> installations, but this is driving me nuts. How do I get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
> John

John,
Due to the complexity of PHP, it is near impossible to build one common RPM for
every application.
For your problem (a very common one actually), here's the solution:

Assuming you've installed both Apache and MySQL with RPMS,

remove mod_php3 with the command "rpm -e mod_php3".
Get the SOURCE RPM for mod_php3 and install it using the command "rpm -Uvh
mod_php3-3.0.x-x.src.rpm".
Edit the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/mod_php3.spec file.
Look for the %build section and add
"--with-mysql=/usr \"  (there is a space after /usr)
Once you've done this, build the RPM with the command "rpm -bb
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/mod_php3.spec"
The RPM will be created in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
Install this RPM normally (rpm -ivh mod_php3*), restart apache, and all shall be
sane in world once more =]

-Ken

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Darren M. Crotchett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting problems
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:11:24 -0500

I don't know the exact release off the top of my head.  I am running
Mandrake 6.0.  I believe the kernal is the 2.2.X.  Whatever the version, I
am running it on two computers.  The other computer sees the FAT 32 there
just fine.

Darren
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:7ohlfb$sek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Rob Lahaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Origin
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:39:02 +0900

Check out amtec's tecplot package. I think it comes closest to
origin, as far as I can deduce from the demo.
Download the demo, get a free demo-license and check it out
yourself.  It's available at www.amtec.com

For those who have the money, they can buy a proper license
(about 1000 US$, woow!). That's another similarity with
Origin :-)

-R-

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't recall commands after upgrade to RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:08:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I recently upgraded my RH5.2 install to 6.0 and now I can't use
> "Esc k" or "Esc /" to search for old commands.  I tried "set -o vi"
> but that didn't work.  I'm running bash as my shell.  Can anyone help?
> It's a pain having to re-type in old commands.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time,
>
> Martin
> mcjose[at]ibm[dot]net

-With bash, you can retrieve previous commands by using
the uparrow.  It is also possible to use emacs like commands,
but I'm afraid I'm not an emacs person.

-

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug DeJulio)
Subject: Re: C structure size inconsitency
Date: 9 Aug 1999 12:14:42 -0400

In article <7omsiv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Konrad Hambrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I did not say it was a good thing to do, but if your
>mission is to read someone else's data file and you
>know that data struct is packed head-to-tail, the only
>alternative would be to allocate a char array, define
>offsets for the data elements, read the data into the
>char buffer and use (a lot of) type casting all over
>the place.

Another "not strictly portable but more portable than struct packing"
way to achieve a similar result is to use readv/writev.  Many Unix
systems have these functions, and the Linux system I'm on right now
appears to.

For those who don't know, the "v" in readv/writev stands for
"vector".

You pass in a set of "struct iovec" structures.  Each one has a void*
element (iovbase) and a size_t element (iov_len).  So, if the first
iovec has an iov_len of 5 and an iovbase at address "A", and the next
has an iov_len of 10 and an iovbase at address "B", and you "readv" in
15 bytes, the first 5 will end up stored at address "A" and the next
10 will end up stored at address "B", regardless of where those are in
memory.  The "writev" function is directly analogous.  It's a sort of
scatter-gather I/O to and from memory.

It's perfect for dealing with packing/unpacking structs, and even if
you don't care about POSIX compatibility, it's still a lot more
portable than fiddling with struct packing.  Depending on the
implementation you're using, they can be *much* faster than
implementing the same behavior yourself (eg. consider hardware that
can do DMA to/from discontiguous regions).

Does anyone know if these are being added to POSIX or some other Unix
standard sometime soon?  They're on just about every Unix system I've
used (Solaris, AIX, BSDI, Linux, and others) and they're really
useful, but I haven't heard that they're a part of any official
standard yet.  (AFAIK, readv/writev come from BSD 4.2, have been
around for at least 12 years, and haven't changed in that time.  IMHO,
they would be useful additions to any Unix standard.)
--
Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LH Foo)
Crossposted-To: jaring.os.linux
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.0 Installation problem
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:52:47 GMT

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 08:53:29 GMT, #[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tan) wrote:
:>select Disk Druid instead of FDISK. Then I was able to add 2 Linux
:>Native partitions(1Gb each) from my hdc (the 2nd drive). Then I wish
:>to add Linux Swap but error msg said "No free primary" (there are 79MB
:>left actually).

You can have only 4 primary partitions .... in your case, you have a
windows, extended and 2 linux partitions ... therefore, it's max already.
you can increase your extended and create linux partitions or swap with disk
druid ... however, to resize extended partition, you need Partition Magic
... or even easier ... recreate your extended since they are unused.

:>Also, I have no idea about some options in Disk Druid:
:>1. Mount point?

mount point is used to split your filesystem to be stored in separate
partition e.g. your 1st partition for / and your 2nd partition for /home
therefore, users' homes are stored in separate partiton than programs.etc.

:>2. Drop to fill disk?

It means it will automatically grow to fill up the empty space on disk when
creating partition.
e.g you have 2gb space, 1st partition-growable and size 1mb, 2nd partition
(for swap)-fixed and 64mb, when the partition is created the 1st partition
will be (2gb-64mb) .... so, it means that you don't have to perform the
calculation of which is the start and end sector of your partition manually.

:>3. Allowable HDD? (there have hda and hdc)

Other hard disk/cdrom which you want to mount.

:>1. Will it be harmful if I Ctrl+Alt+Del at any point in Linux?

It will automatically do a clean shutdown if possible when these 3 buttons
are pressed.

:>2. Should I FDISK the HDD 100% using Windows FDISK before installing
:>Linux?

nope ..... linux fdisk gives you more flexibility.

:>3. Will Linux installation auto detect all my hardwares, especially
:>CD-ROM, soundcard, mouse, k/b, and modem? If not, how do I install it
:>into Linux system?

all atapi cdrom are auto-detected, the rest depends on your hardwares ....
those older hardwares are definitely supported.

:>4. How to install software downloaded into Linux?

Those rpm files, check out "man rpm"
rpm -Uvh rpmfilename

Those tgz or tar.gz  files, check out "man tar"
tar zxvf tgzfilename

:>5. If anyone have installed Red Hat 6.0 before, can you please guide
:>me the installation step-by-step, as I am totally Linux idiot.

just follow through ... it won't harm your system in anyway.
then run Xconfigurator after installation completed to get X-Windows.

--
Mr L H Foo (ICQ No: 8367392)
The pessimist complains about the wind,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: LinuxWorld Conference/Expo in San Jose Calif. this week!
Date: 9 Aug 1999 17:00:21 GMT

The LinuxWorld Conference & Expo will be held this week, Aug. 9-12,
at the San Jose Convention Center, San Jose Calif.  More than 12,000
attendees are expected.

Basic registration is $15 onsite, and gets you into:

 o the Expo -- 160 exhibits, open Tues. & Wed. 10am - 6pm, and
   Thurs. 10am - 2pm.  Lots of amazing and inexpensive software!

 o Keynote Addresses

   Tues.  9:30 - 10:00am -- Intel V.P. Sean Maloney on the Linux and the
                            new Intel IA-64 architecture

   Tues.  6:30 -  7:30pm -- Linus Torvalds (the original creator of Linux)

   Wed.  10:45 - 11:30am -- Burlington Coat Factory CIO Mike Prince on
                            using Linux in hundreds of stores

 o Feature Presentations

   Tues.  4:30 -  5:30pm -- Jon "maddog" Hall moderates a panel debating
                            the effects of the commercialization of Linux

   Wed.  10:45 - 11:30am -- VA Linux Systems CEO Larry Augustin moderates
                            a panel on open source development models,
                            with Linus Torvalds (Linux), Chip Salzenberg
                            (Perl), Brian Behlendorf (Apache), Jeremy
                            Allison (Samba), and Jordan Hubbard (FreeBSD)

 o "Birds of a Feather" sessions, all at the same time (unfortunately),
   Wed. 5:30 - 7:00pm

   Rapid Development with Tcl/Tk
   File Systems and Storage on Linux
   Real Time Linux
   An Introduction for Attorneys (to licensing issues)
   From the Minors to the Majors: Linux Expands its Influence in the
     Enterprise
   Linux Performance
   Alpha Linux
   Linux on Laptops
   Python
   Meet (some of) the Samba Team

   For more information about the BoF sessions, see:

   http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/linuxworldtoday/lwt-visitorguide3.html

On-site registration times at the San Jose Convention Center are:

   Mon.  Aug.  9: 8am - 6pm
   Tues. Aug. 10: 8am - 7pm
   Wed.  Aug. 11: 8am - 6pm
   Thu.  Aug. 12: 8am - 4pm

For further information (e.g., regarding the conferences and tutorials,
which cost $50 or more), see:

   http://www.linuxworldexpo.com
   http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/geninfo.htm
   http://linuxworld.com/linuxworldtoday
   http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/linuxworldtoday/lwt-visitorguide2.html
   http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/linuxworldtoday/lwt-visitorguide3.html

   or call 800-657-1474 or 781-821-6741.

For instructions on how to get to the Convention Center, call 408-277-3900.

------------------------------

From: Mark Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Printing on Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:11:28 -0700

Philipp Maier wrote:

> K Kal wrote:
> >
> > Linux Gurus,
> >      Does anyone know how to configure a printer on LINUX??  All I know
> > is the printer's IP address.  Can anyone help?
>
> I had problems printing to an IP address, too. To locate the problem,
> the following instructions might be helpful:
>
> 1.Can you connect to the printer? Try: ping 1.2.3.4
>
> 2.If this works, try: telnet 1.2.3.4 515
>
> which should give you something like the following:
>  Trying 1.2.3.4
>  Connected to xx.yy
>  Escape character is ...
>  This connection must be termined (hint: ESC, ] , q).
>
> 3.If this works, then you have a problem with the printer spooler. Stop
> the spooler to verify that jobs are queued for printing.
> Type:
>  lpc stop remote
>  lpr -Premote /etc/printcap
>  lpc status remote
>  lpq -Premote
>
> You first stopped the printer queue and then attempted to print the
> /etc/printcap-file. This job should show up.
>
> 4.Restart the printer queue:
>  lpc start remote
>
> If everythings works, your file should now be printed...
>
> (Taken from my webpage,
> http://www.eco.rug.nl/medewerk/maier/Recreation/html/printing.htm)
>
> Philipp Maier
> --
> Information about Sylt and Maerklin mini-club:
>
> www.crosswinds.net/~pmaier

I had the same problem trying to print to an HP4M with the HP Jet Direct
card installed.  Works fine from my NT network but Linux couldn't print
to it (or I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it).  Finally set
it up to print from another NT server with a printer hard wired to the
server.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Diane Perkins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Info on Linux?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:21:23 -0800

Jerry,
You are a very rude person!  If you didn't have anything helpful to
contribute you should not have replied!  The other people who responded were
very helpful.  I know that Windows applications will not work with a
different OS, however, I do know there should be some way to link the
database through some kind of data manager.

Chad, Arthur and Christopher,
  Thanks for the response and I will follow up on the information you gave
me,
Diane

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
 Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Sendmail & popserver
Date: 09 Aug 1999 12:21:49 -0400

"Håkan Trygg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So.....
> 1. How to read the popmail and forward it to the local mailserver?
>    Is there any small utility program?
fetchmail
> 2. How to configure sendmail so it sends at designated times?
>    I guess cron is involved... but how to force sendmail?
killall -HUP sendmail

------------------------------

From: epadin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Seeking Linux UDP broadcast forwarding solution
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:38:15 GMT

I tried ipportfw but couln't get it to forward a UDP broadcast. I need
something that will forward all UDP broadcasts.

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network performance problem
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:34:36 -0700

Hello,

May be it's your ISP that has problems. From your gatewayC try to use
traceroute to any of the sites on the Net and see what kind of response time
you will get.

Good luck!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: yacc libraries
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:26:53 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>hi, I am trying to compile a yacc generated file, but I get following
>error:

>$ gcc y.tab.c -ll
>/tmp/ccc00459: In function `yyparse':
>/tmp/ccc00459(.text+0xcc): undefined reference to `yyerror'
>/tmp/ccc00459(.text+0x4a2): undefined reference to `yyerror'

>I obviously have to link some library but which one?

No. You have to read the docs.

 (liby as I read
>somewhere on the net is not working)
>$ gcc y.tab.c -ll -ly
>ld: cannot open -ly: No such file or directory

You are using bison. Read the bison-info file.

OK, here's the beef from the info file:
   The Bison parser expects to report the error by calling an error
reporting function named `yyerror', which you must supply.  It is
called by `yyparse' whenever a syntax error is found, and it receives
one argument.  For a parse error, the string is normally
`"parse error"'.

The following definition suffices in simple programs:

     yyerror (s)
          char *s;
     {
       fprintf (stderr, "%s\n", s);
     }

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Spanish Bombs (The Clash), Windy (The

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vegard Engen)
Subject: Re: Traditional tar.gz software building
Date: 9 Aug 1999 18:02:22 GMT

On 05 Aug 1999 18:29:41 -0700, Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Where would one get a thorough description of how to build software
>from sources and how to trouble shoot that process?

I don't have that. But there are a few tricks one can use:

nm <library> will give you all the symbols from that library. Useful to run
on the libraries (in /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib etc.) if you get complaints
of missing symbols Use in conjunction with grep.

If you get complaints about things not defined at compile-time, again use grep
on the include-files (/usr/include, /usr/local/include etc. and subdirs). A
nice command is find, use it for example like this:

find /usr/include -name "*.h" -exec grep MISSING_SYMBOL {} /dev/null \;

The /dev/null is a trick to make grep output the file-names before the line
containing the symbol.

Often, header-files that's not found is just residing in a sub-directory, or
vice versa. Simply change the source-file to reflect that. find is a good
command to use here too.

If you get compile-problems in included header-files, try just removing the
#include-statement, and see what's missing. Then go back to the header-file
and see how it's defined. Sometimes, you can just add that section manually.

These are some quick tricks to make something compile. Some of them are
perhaps not good style, but often it works.

- Vegard

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need help with kppp and floppies PLEASE
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:16:48 GMT

(this is copied from comp.os.linux.networking)

Hi,
I need some assistance with kppp. I set my connections up using linuxconf.
Kppp will dial the modem (Creative Labs Modem Blaster) and start to log in,
but in the end it reports:

"Error
    Timeout expired while waiting for the PPP interface to come up!"

Additionally, I think it's a problem with kppp (I'm not sure though),
because when I use the connect in linuxconf it doesn't complain. But I don't
know how to test that to make sure (I've only had it installed for 3 days)

I'm using Linux-Mandrake 6.0

I don't have to use kppp, but what else am I going to do? I tried using
minicom, and I think it worked, but I couldn't get Netscape or any thing
else to work.

I'm also having trouble with floppies. When I try to mount one (or do
anything with it, for that matter) I get the message "Error: you must
specify a filesystem type" but Linux mandrake comes with controls that are
supposed to auto mount and auto detect the filesystem type.

If there's any one who has successfully used Linux-Mandrake (or just KDE) to
connect to the Internet and other basic things (mounting floppies, CD, zip
drives, setting up Ethernet (Samba), adding and removing programs), that
would be willing to correspond with me, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thank in advance.
  JW