On 2010-01-23 13:17, Pavel Matěja wrote:
>> I have gotten as far as figuring out I might need to run IBAUTIL.EXE to
>> enable PXE boot on the device ROM, but I'm so far stymied at actually
>> getting to a state where I can execute that program. None of the ancient
>> DOS bootable floppy images I have around seems to want to boot on this
>> system via virtual floppy.
>>
>> Any clues? Anyone successfully booted a bare metal R900 to a DOS/Windows
>> command line in order to run such a beast?
>
> Try http://www.freedos.org/

Oh, I did, of course. It doesn't run on R900s. Boots but crashes with
invalid instruction errors. But thanks for the suggestion.

I've also tried booting gPXE on virtual CDROM but it fails silently; I'm
guessing that either there's no current driver for that NIC or the boot
code doesn't work on an R900.

WTF is wrong with Intel, anyway? Who expects someone to boot DOS in 2010
in order to tune a 10GBE NIC? They could at least provide some way to do
it in Linux so I could boot a live CD running an operating system from
this millennium to fix it. And if Dell is providing IBAUTIL as part of
their support packages, it would be nice if they could suggest a way you
could run it successfully.

Maybe there's some way to do it with ethtool -E, but I don't have any
way to find out what it is.

Any other ideas?