Hey Sasha,

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 06:10 -0700, Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> On 16:08 Tue 13 Apr     , Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> >
> > Would it be better to keep cache in a regular human readable
> > ibnetdiscover output format, so '--diff' will be usable not just against
> > cache, but also against a regular ibnetdiscover output files?

I had considered this at one point.  There were several reasons I
decided to go w/ the cache idea.  Perhaps the major reason is that the
current cache system has "all" the data (nodeinfo, portinfo, etc.)
saved, whereas the normal ibnetdiscover output does not.  So we would be
limited in our diff output for what ibnetdiscover outputs (or perhaps
limited in future extensions).  Adding a --diff into iblinkinfo is also
on my list to do, but that wouldn't be possible w/ a cached text output
(the cached text file doesn't store portinfo data).

This isn't to say there are downsides.  The major downside is that it's
difficult to edit the cache when minor changes happen on the network
(e.g. for our system administrators, when an HCA is replaced b/c a node
dies).  I have a tool for that (to be submitted soon too I hope :-).

Al

--
Albert Chu
ch...@llnl.gov