Hi stan,

Here's a short summary:
An IPoIB interface encodes it capability of supporting CM mode in the
hardware adress it publishes. Once the stack hands an SKB to IPoIB for
transmission (unicast), IPoIB needs to resolve the hardware address to
IB adress information (LID, SL etc.). Once resolution is complete, it
will create a RC connection with the other host using IB CM. This
process is symetrical - that is, for two communicating hosts there are
two RC connections so that each connection works half duplex.

Hope that helps.