On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 00:18 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:34:29PM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
>
> > In fact I'm not sure even for embedded it's worth making this something
> > that can be configured out.  We probably have too many config options
> > that no one ever uses as it is.  Are there any embedded systems that are
> > both so small that a few K of code matters and also use RDMA?
>
> I experimented with re-tasking rxe to act as a soft-IB. The only
> reason to do this was to run IPOIB, and the system was very small. So
> in that instance I did benefit from running without may of the IB
> modules - but I would have been entirely happy with a CONFIG_XX
> controlled by CONFIG_EMBEDDED, since the system didn't use modules at
> all anyhow.

So, in an attempt to arrive at a consensus:
1. ib_netlink will not be in a different module. Instead it will be a
part of ib_uverbs.
2. I will rework the message serialization in both sides to use nl
attributes and to be transported one record at a time.
3. For now, there will be no config option for ib_netlink.

Is that acceptable? Are there anymore issues to attend to?

Nir