On Aug 2, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Hefty, Sean wrote:

>> If the target QP is opened in low level driver, then it's owned by group of
>> processes that share the same XRC domain.
>
> Can you define what you mean by 'owned'?
>
> With the latest patches, the target qp is created in the kernel.  Data
> received on the target qp can go to any process sharing the associated xrc
> domain.  However, only the creating process is permitted to modify the qp.

Owned - the group of process may use the tgt qp to receive data.
So it seems that we are on the same page here.

BTW, did we have the same limitation/feature (only creating process is allowed
to modify) in  original XRC driver ?

>> And , as I mentioned in the reply to Jack, I totally agree that maximum life
>> time of target QP is bound to XRC domain life time,
>
> This is the main point I was trying to get agreement on from the MPI
> developers, and it appears that everyone agrees now.

Indeed.

>> even so it should be a way to destroy the QP before XRC domain distraction.
>
> This is also doable with the latest patches.  The process which creates the
> tgt qp has the ability to explicitly destroy it.

Hmm, is it way to destroy the QP, when the original process does not exist
anymore ?
Some MPI implements network fall tolerance mechanisms over IB. It means that if
QP (or device) enters to error state it should be a way to destroy the
specific QP and open new one.

>> main point is that the target qp should be maintained by low level driver and
>> not specific MPI process (like send qp)
>
> As with 'owned', can you clarify what you mean by 'maintained'?
>
> The target qp can continue to exist even after the creating process exits.

This is what I was talking about.

Regards,
P--