Hi list,

I've already sent this to the open-iscsi mailing list, but I guess
this is more relevant for linux-rdma.

Finally I've got IB/iSER running on Debian Squeeze with Linux kernel 3.0
smoothly.

The problem was that we did not have the suitable OFED for our kernel
and we did not use the open-iscsi from OFED. Kernel 3.0 is supported
since OFED-1.5.4 from 2011-12-05.

So, I've taken the 1.5.2-based stuff from Debian/Experimental and I've
updated it to 1.5.4 from OFA. Then, I've noticed that Debian doesn't
build "ib_iser" in the OFA kernel source and that they don't build the
open-iscsi kernel/user-space code - I made it do so.

The next problem was that open-iscsi kernel code in OFED-1.5.4 is for <=
2.6.32 based RedHat distributions. I had to port the source from 2.6.30
to 3.0 due to kernel API changes. OFA even forgot libiscsi_tcp.[ch] in
OFED-1.5.4. So, I had to import it from 2.6.30 mainline.
I did so, because we wanted to compare TCP and iSER speed over
InfiniBand. Our Solaris COMSTAR targets provide both.

After fixing the kernel, there was still a problem in the open-iscsi
2.0.869 user-space from OFED. Some sysfs magic has changed - so that the
iSCSI host number couldn't be found.

After fixing that, it worked for me.

Cheers,

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Riemer
Linux Kernel Developer

ProfitBricks GmbH
Greifswalder Str. 207
10405 Berlin, Germany

Tel.:  +49 - 30 - 51 64 09 20
Fax:   +49 - 30 - 51 64 09 22
Email: sebastian.rie...@profitbricks.com
Web:   http://www.profitbricks.com/

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 125506 B
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Gauger, Achim Weiss