or call an existing function with some new enum value

5. what happens if we just want to enhance an -- existing -- function - suppose we want to enhance ibv_post_send / ibv_poll_cq to support features like LSO, checksum offload, masked atomic operations, fast memory remote invalidate, etc so we add IBV_WR_NEW_FEATURE / IB_WC_NEW_FEATURE enum values, this step is simple, again if we go the way of the applicayion ensuring through dependencies that they are loaded against libibverbs that supports IB_{WR,WC}_NEW_FEATURE.

Another element to take into account / use here, is the device capabilities, in the kernel RDMA stack this is the way to go for supporting extended features - those who are not common to all devices, e.g the way ipoib queries the device and concludes if checksum/lso offloads can be exposed to the network stack, or the rpc/rdma layer decides what memory management model to use for rdma conditioned if memory extensions etc are supported. But the kernel is one piece, so if a cap is defined and there's a driver down there advertizing it, all is in place software wise, where in user space, there are some more layers to address, as this thread attempts to do.

Or.