On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:15:02 -0600
Brian Ginsbach <ginsb...@cray.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 02:47:00PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > On 02/29/2012 02:22 PM, Ira Weiny wrote:
> > > Doug,
> > >
> > > First thanks for this.  Some comments below.

> > > I know you are going for ease of use here, which is good, however, I
> > > worry about this file becoming a redefinition of opensm.conf.
> >
> > Hehehe, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that.  You have
> > looked at opensm.conf in recent times I take it?  Replacing that with
> > command line options in a shell startup script isn't reasonable.
> >
> > However, if you are going to run a redundant fabric setup, then the two
> > things you *know* you will have to set are the guid and subnet_prefix
> > (assuming you want to use openmpi).  If you are going to run
>
> Assuming you are doing this for openmpi.  The subnet_prefix should
> not be needed if the separate subnets are for disjoint networks
> (mpi and storage) or multiple storage networks.
>
> > master/slave setup, then the one thing you *know* you will have to set
> > is the priority.  Supporting setting those items in an init script is
> > reasonable.  Beyond that, I would agree, you should just edit the config
> > files.
> >

> Not everything can be done in the config files.  I'm not sure that
> it is a good idea to have every opensm instance using the same
> temporary and cache directories (OSM_TMP_DIR and OSM_CACHE_DIR
> environment variables).  Seems like these fall into the *know* you
> will have to set category.

Brian brings up a really good point.  Even though some things can't be
configured now, opensm.conf is the better way to configure log file placement
etc.  So in my mind this re-emphasises the need to simply allow for multiple
opensm.conf's and not introduce another config file.  But as I said before it
is Alex's call.

Ira

--
Ira Weiny