On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:14 AM, Haggai Eran <hagg...@mellanox.com> wrote:

>> Hmm; I'm confused.  How does this fix the
>> MPI-needs-to-intercept-freed-memory problem?
> Well, there is no problem if an application frees registered memory (in
> an on-demand paging memory region) and that memory is returned to the
> OS. The OS will invalidate these pages, and the HCA will no longer be
> able to use them. This means that the registration cache doesn't have to
> de-register memory immediately when it is freed.

(must... resist... urge... to... throw... furniture...)

This is why features should not be introduced to solve MPI problems without an
understanding of what the MPI problems are.  :-)  Please go talk to the
Mellanox MPI team.

Forgive me for being frustrated; memory registration and all the pain that it
entails was highlighted as ***the #1 problem*** by *5 major MPI
implementations* at the Sonoma 2009 workshop (see
https://www.openfabrics.org/resources/document-downloads/presentations/doc_download/301-mpi-update-and-requirements-panel-all-presentations.html,
 starting at slide 7 in the "openmpi" slide deck).

Why don't we have something like ummunotify yet?
Why don't we have non-blocking memory registration yet?
...etc.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com