On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:14, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> Wesley Parish wrote:
> >Has anyone ever set up gcc to crosscompile itself for another platform?
> >
> >I've mentioned on the ReactOS list that I intend fooling around with
> > ReactOS (a Windows NT-class operating system, an NT "Clone") on the IBM
> > S/390, because I want to help Microsoft catch flies; open mouths are a
> > wondrous thing!
> >
> >I want to crosscompile mingw32-gcc (the port of gcc used by ReactOS) to
> > run on the S/390.  Then crosscompile ReactOS for the S/390, then get IBM
> > to make space for me on the LCDS mainframe, for long enough to verify
> > that it actually runs.
> >
> >(Yes, delusions of grandeur! - but oh the joke on Microsoft!)
> >
> >Wesley Parish
>
> Wes, I thought you were older than me. They'll be nailing down the lid
> before you get that lot to work!

A man's gotta have a bit of fun in his life!  (Besides, Microsoft's got itself
in a bit of a bind with non-x86 architectures.  They've dropped everything
aparat from the x86 and its follow-on; and now people are starting to say ARM
and PPC are likely successors to its mantle.)

> mingw is a stripped down *nix like development environment for m$
> machines[1]. If it compiles on that, then it should be far easier to
> compile in a full-blown development environment. I'd start with an
> emulator like http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules, then get linux running on
> that...
> and build ReactOS up in that. You just 'might' have some chance of
> getting it to work then.

I've just checked the config setup of MinGW32-gcc on my MS Windows 95/NT box.
I think I'll be able to get it to cross-compile on linux to S/390, then boot
up Hercules - only problem I have is getting my copy of Debian/390 installed
on the disk file.  then getting it copied over and installed in Debian/390
space.  Hercules is slow...

On a chance - anyone on the list _just_ happen to have a treeware copy of
S/390 Principles of Operation?  Or know anyone who might be able to get me a
gratis copy?  (Feel free to pass this request on to anyone in any of the
other NZ LUGs who might be able to help.)  I'm not overly fond of reading
PDFs ...

> $0.02,
>
> Steve.
> [1] How do you pronounce it with a straight face, for a start?

[That's for you to know and me to find out!]

Thanks

Wesley Parish
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?