Hi Nigel,

You can audience target web parts directly to AD groups in the “target
audience” setting of the web part. You don’t have to create an audience and
compile.

However you need to configure a user profile import (works on full import but I
am not sure on incremental) before you can see the AD group (even though it
doesn’t show up in the view profiles section) in the “target audience” section
of the web part.

I am thinking this is also your problem with your Audience based on an AD
group. You will need to configure a user profile import.

Let us know how you go.

cheers

Clayton James