Tehelka

Lifeless at Kennedy's Line

It's slow death for the jobless miners of the Kolar Gold Mines

Chinmayee Manjunath
Bangalore

Every journey back to the Kolar

Waiting for Godot: miners' families wait, for what? photo by s. radhakrishna

Gold Fields (kgf) is terrible, tainted with an
overwhelming sense of helplessness (see the
series of articles in Tehelka Crusade,
www.tehelka.com). The landscape remains as
desolate, the dust-heavy air still chokes and the
people are only wearier. Susairaju, a worker who
leads the kgf People's Movement (kpm) and the
miners' struggle, says, "Everyone is tired. Only
a few of us are still fighting." Susairaju has
done everything from a long march from kgf to
Bangalore, to inviting Medha Patkar for a rally.
"But nothing ever changes," he sighs.

There still isn't any water supply; long lines of
plastic buckets are waiting for the sporadic
visits of the water tankers which sell water at
Re 1 per bucket. The 242 stinking toilets remain
blocked as the pit-sucking machine acquired in
March gathers dust at the municipality office. In
kgf, no situation is ever alleviated, it only
gets worse. So is the case of sanitation workers
who worked under Bharat Gold Mines Ltd (bgml) and
then, under the Robertsonpet city municipal
corporation (cmc). After bgml's closure, they
continued their work for 10 months under the cmc,
which then stated that it is not responsible for
the bgml township, as the miners' colonies are
known. Wages weren't paid and the workers can't
find work elsewhere since they are of a lower
Madiga caste. They live away from the upper caste
people in the miners' colony, their area
demarcated by a stagnant, primitive drain.

The workers' quarters in Kennedy's Line, one of
the miners' colonies, is home to 700 people
crammed in 100 shanties. The tiny lanes are
crowded since most adults don't have jobs and
children have dropped out of school. "We just sit
around, waiting, but we never know for what,"
says Illishamma, a 40-year-old widow whose
husband died of alcoholism. Susairaju adds that
men, who were mostly night soil cleaners, drink
excessively on the job. "So most women here are
widows," he explains.
Children were taken out of school as the fees was
unaffordable. There are boys and girls who have
completed high school but can't study further to
get jobs. One of them is 15-year-old Balavidya.
"I want to get a diploma so I can get some work,"
she sighs. With three younger siblings to take
care of, she wants to get some money into the
house. "But my mother can't pay my fees and no
one will give me a job."

The workers formed the bgml Safai Karmacharis
Multi-Purpose Cooperative Society in 2001.
Several letters have been sent to the deputy
commissioner, Kolar, and the director, municipal
administration, Bangalore. One of the letters
(November 11, 2002) reads: "We are all put
through great hardship without any income for the
past monthsŠ The women and children of our
community are virtually starving and about 25
persons are nearing their death due to hunger."
Despite the urgent pleas, nothing has moved.

This month, kpm, along with the People's Union
for Civil Liberties (pucl) in Bangalore met Nilay
Mitash, Director, Municipal Administration,
Bangalore. YJ Rajendra, a senior member of pucl,
said, Mitash has agreed to three demands. "He has
said that two months' salary will be released to
the karmacharis within 15 days and they will be
employed for at least two months until fresh
tenders are issued. Also, he has agreed to
undertake the cleaning of toilets," says Rajendra.

kpm and its supporters have decided to take up
the issue on a war footing. "Enough of polite
demands. We have to get more serious," says
Susairaju. Other demands include the issue of
yellow ration cards, which belong to the Below
Poverty Line (bpl) category. "At least we can get
some rice and kerosene then. Now we eat leaves
that grow near the house," says Adiamma, a
resident of Kennedy's Line.

Labour Notes South Asia
To subscribe send a blank message to:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>