-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of BillWorker 2i
Development Team
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 1:14 AM
To: LOG4J Users Mailing List
Subject: configuration error

Hi!

My configuration file:
      1 log4j.rootCategory=debug, stdout, R, email
      2
      3
      4 # standard output
      5 log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
      6 log4j.appender.stdout.File=System.out
      7 log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
      8 log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p (%F:%L) -
%m%n
      9
     10 # file appender
     11 log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
     12 log4j.appender.R.File=mylogfile.log
     13 log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
     14 log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=3
     15 log4j.appender.R.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
     16 log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p - %m%n
     17
     18 # email appender
     19 log4j.appender.email=org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender
     20 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     21 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     22 log4j.appender.email.Subject=something important
    23 log4j.appender.email.SMTPHost=my.mailserver.com
    24 log4j.appender.email.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
     25 log4j.appender.email.layout.ConversionPattern=%d - %m%n

The error  message I am getting:
log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (billworker.lifts).
log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.

My problem:
I log most of the stuff under billworker category, and all was working
fine, except email.

Then when I added a servlet with billworker.lift category things I got
this error. I have not modified my log4j.conf file that I use to
configure the log4j system.

My Questions:
Why is this the case? Should billworker.lifts just take the appenders
from the root category?

Also why is the email not working? It works when I use the same
configuration file with the SMTP test program in the log4j source
directory.

How do I make the email send an email for each log message instead of
batch emails?

I am using version 1.0.4!
--
BillWorker 2i Development Team,