Steffen,

Log4j configurators support variable substitution. Such that

user=foo
log4j.appender.A1.file=/export/home/${user}/logfile.log

will be expanded to

log4j.appender.A1.file=/export/home/foo/logfile.log

Similarly, the system property "user" will be expanded. Let me know if this does not
solve the problem. Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü