Thomas,

By default *most* log4j appenders flush immediately. In particular, the WriterAppender
and its descendants flush an incoming LoggingEvent immediately.

As for the immediateFlush property mentioned by Steffen, it is set to true by default.
The immediate flush behavior can be overridden by setting immediateFlush to false.

Thus, in principle you should not see any "hanging" logging event messages. If you do,
then you are probably doing something unkosher. Regards, Ceki

At 09:58 12.06.2001 +0100, Thomas Tuft Muller wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've noticed that log-entries is 'hanging' somewhere during tailing of a
>log-file. Don't know if it's the internals of log4j or a buffered stream.
>
>Is it possible to flush pending log messages, i.e. force them to be written
>to the prevailing appender(s).
>
>--
>
>Thomas

Ceki Gülcü