From: James Lawless [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 08 November 2001 21:12
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; James Lawless
Subject: WL 6.1 log4j.properties

Hello all,

I began setting up log4j today to run with an application I am
developing
on BEA WebLogic App Server 6.1

I had a little bit of trouble getting to grip with log4j concepts at the
start as I didn't realise many of the classes and methods in the API are
taken care of for you via the configuration file. I was trying to
programatically set all my options whilst also struggling with a
propreties file. Eventually however I worked it out and seem to be on
the
road to happy logging now :-)

The only real problem I still have is pointing the App Server at the
correct config file dynamically. i can get it to work by using a
PropertyConfigurator explicitly in the code to configure and pas in the
filename here.
In the documentation, it says that for Tomcat, config files path
calculations are performed from the class root., i.e. web-inf/classes

I tried adding a system property -Dlog4j.configurator=logging.lcf to
the WebLogic startup script with logging.lcf in the web-inf/classes
 directory and got no joy.

I then tried to use the default mechanism and saved the file as
log4j.properties and placed this in the web-inf/classes directory. this
time I got an error message telling me that class [log4j.properties]
could
not be instantiated??

The only way I could get it to work was by explicitly setting the config
file programatically. I presume that what works for Tomcat should also
work for WebLogic, i.e. the approach above should work in theory?

The other issue I had was that I set a String variable as the argument
Category.getInstance("mycat"); I then had to explicitly set the Appender
for mycat in the config file, the root category settings wouldn't apply.
Apparently if I had used Class.forName() instead, the root category
would
have been sufficient to use in aplying settings, is this true?

Any light that anyone could shed on any of these issues would be greatly
appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

James