By default, the SMTPAppender buffers all LogEvent's in a
cyclic buffer.

It will send email messages when:

1) an ERROR LogEvent occurs
2) a FATAL LogEvent occurs

DEBUG messages will NOT cause an email message.

If you want different behavior, you will need to provide a custom
TriggeringEventEvaluator class.

-Sean

 p.s. - I ported SMTPAppender to java.util.logging

                http://smtphandler.sourceforge.net/