On Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003, at 06:50 Europe/Amsterdam, Struan Donald wrote:

If you don't want to read about Perl look away now.
well, technically i think you're supposed to mark it [OT] on the london.pm list if the word 'perl' is mentioned anywhere in the body. but we'll forgive you ;)

In cases where you require some information to perform a test (say a
database name, or login information) is there an accepted way of doing
it? More specifically is there some way I can ask for the information
and if I don't get a response in x seconds assume either defaults or
SKIP the test?
interactive tests are not very nice to be honest, so try and leave your interactivity, if at all necessary, in one place.

the accepted procedure[1] nowadays is to do something roughly like the following:
* write an interactive Makefile.PL/Build.PL that gathers the information.
* write this information out to a config file, so it can be reused for multiple installs.
* try and have command line switches that give the answers to your question, so interactivity is not needed when the person knows what to do, ie;
perl Makefile.PL --db=foo --db-user=bar --db-pass=zot
* alternately, use %ENV variables, but this is the method of last resort.

this greatly increases the chances of installers dealing with it correctly, as well as automating installation processes where needed.

--
        Jos Boumans

"Cocaine is God's way of telling you you make too much money"

CPANPLUS http://cpanplus.sf.net

[1] this just means this is how people are doing it lacking any official guidelines, and is one CPANPLUS can cope with, so i'm happy enough to endorse it.