At 10:31 -0500 9/1/03, Nigel Hamilton wrote:
 > Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Static Content is a Good Thing[tm].  You should try to have as much of
it as possible. The you can let Apache do the hard work of implementing
 > HTTP correctly (caching, byte ranges, etc).
Has anyone managed to get content negotiation to work for pre-compressed
static content? ... this is the ideal scenario speed-wise.

Er... I may be missing something, but isn't this as easy as checking the "Accept-Encoding" input header, and if properly set, redirect internally to the gzipped file and set the output header "Encoding" ?

Liz