Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
I'm tendering for a project which will require a Java bod for 3 months
starting in August. Skills to include spring and maven.

Where best to find such a person?

Depends.

If you're prepared to deal with recruitment agents, then you talk to me, and I provide you with a list of agents who can:

a) Follow simple instructions, eg: "Do not call me between these times", "Do not send me roles in the West Midlands for 1/3 my current take-home", etc.

b) Actually match candidates that might be of some use to the spec they gave you

c) Not try and sell you a pup just to make a buck

d) Actually behave like real human beings with whom technical people might want to hang out / drink with once in a while[0]

Ben
[0] Is it surprising that this is the only reliable indicator I've ever found for whether recruiters are worth my time - WIDWTG? (Would I Drink With This Guy). It may give false positives, but it's a start...