I've got an SMC ISA NIC which works with the smc-ultra module code.

I trying to boot diskless, with this card, but having a terrible time of it.
I've wasted endless time on this.

I've tried the pre-compiled kernels included with ltsp 3.0. Everything has
been configured, but when booted, it ends up:

ERROR ! Could not automatically detect network card. ISA cards cannot be
detected so they require the NIC driver to be passed on the kernel command
line, usually specified in the option-129 in /etc/dhcpd.conf.

I have tried dhcpd v2.0 with dhcpd.conf as follows:

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 192.168.0.5 192.168.0.50;
        option routers                  192.168.0.1;
        option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;

        option domain-name              "test.net";
        option domain-name-servers      192.168.0.1;

        default-lease-time 54000;

        host testmachine {
                hardware ethernet 00:00:c0:69:50:d8;
                fixed-address 192.168.0.5;
                filename "/tftpboot/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.9-ltsp-5";

               option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;
               option option-129 "NIC=smc-ultra IO=0x260";
        }
}

The option option-128 and so on are as per the ltsp_initrd_kit instructions,
but I don't believe that anything is being passed to the kernel at all. I've
also tried dhcpd v 3.0, but the syntax of dhcpd.conf is different with this
version, and errors are declared. I've tried modifying the conf file in
accordance with the dhcpd docs so that no errors are declared, but still get
the same message on boot. The dhcpd docs give no attention to diskless
booting, so it's hard to make sense of how they are supposed to work
together.

I've tried re-compiling the 2.4.9 kernel with no modules at all and no
ramdisk, everything compiled into the kernel -- which isn't much, ther are
only SMC ISA NIC, and video card in the machine, and mounting root fs via
NFS. I've followed the checklist in ltsp_install.pdf, but in this case,
it's:

Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount foot fs on 00:ff.  Root-NFS: No NFS server
available giving up.

It says "NFS not working", but it LIES. NFS is working, as proven when the
workstation is booted from HD, it can mount server NFS shares no problem at
all.

Much obliged if anyone can suggest how I can proceed further with this.

Regards to all,  Tim Johnston.