On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 17:01, Gaurav Prasad wrote:

> hi guys,
>
>      i am working in tech support in a big commercial organization..call center (<
>5000 users).....unfornately we are using NT on workstation and
>servers...............i am sick and tired of NT bcos of frequent crashes and fact NT
>requires army of support professionals to maintain network.
>
> I was thinking of migrating fully to linux.....but there r some problem
>
> 1) We got Vb applications we need 2 run at clients

unless wine or crossover can run the vb apps they would have to be
rewritten.  As a former vb guy myself, Kylix/Delphi has become my
language of choice.

> 2)GUI should be better or aleast like NT

KDE is very windoze like, gnome is very close, and gnome2 will be very
nice (when stable)

> 3)MUST have near 100% uptime

even without clustering or failover, I have found linux and ltsp to be
very stable.  And even when something goes wrong, a never have to
reboot, just kill a process here, and restart and daemon their.

> 4)Speed should be fast

properly planed network and servers, users will never know they are
using ltsp.