Daniel,
        you will get much better mileage from having each terminal
assigned a unique login. that way you'll know where the traffic is coming
from and the system won't be confused about the value of DISPLAY
variables, which is often the case when you don't use ssh and just try to
derive them based on user and address. instead of one "student"
login you get "student01" to "student12". this takes care of huge
part of the confusion caused by multiple logins with one account. i
should know, i went through hell to convince people that the
universe doesn't want them to be at many places at the same time.
julius