Phillips wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernd Unger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 4:51 AM
Subject: [Ltsp-discuss] nvidia and own build kernel

Hi Folks!

I've now invested some time to try this out but have not really succeeded.
Maybe somebody already knows a solution to this problem.

What i want is that a "current" release of the nvdidia drivers work with a
ltsp client.

What i've tried was - recompile a ltsp-kernel from the 2.4.18 original
linux

sources (with swap nfs patch) and recompile the nvidia drivers from the
source package provided by nvidia with this kernel sources.

The problem is, that these compiled drivers are not really stable - the
X-Server initializes the screen and then drops with a sig 11 after a few
seconds.

What i have tried then is to use the binary drivers from nvidia, but these
do not load in the kernel if compiled on my own. There were some errors i
can come around with activating additional feature in the kernel (MTRR)
but

two unresolved externals remain. These are kmap_prot and kmap_pte. I have
not found how to come around this - has anybody an idea?

Every help is welcome!
Bernd

I don't have the knowledge to help you; could you help me?  When I dmesg I'm
told I have no more MTRRs. I can't seem to find good info about this.  Seems
to have something to do with my video card.  This is on my ltsp server. I
think it might be slowing things down at times.  Is this an ltsp issue?

Thanks for pointing the way.
jcphill

just if that helps
I manage to compile kernel and nvidia with kernel 2.4.9 and nvidia 2880 (I remember unable to compile last nvidia kernel)