OK.  Do the clients have access to perl?

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:08:04 -0500
From: rob apodaca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Abraham Pearson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] get configuration from mssql DB

On 2 Jan 2003 03:35:04 -0000
"Abraham Pearson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Currently we are using Webmin to manage the lts.conf.  This is OK.
> However we have an Asset DB on a MSSql server.  Right now we are
> duplicating data between the two DB's.  How can I make the lts
> clients query a Microsoft SQL 2000 database to configure themselves?
>  Is it possible?

Let's look at how the client gets the values from lts.conf now.

1. the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local script uses a function 'get_cfg' to
get each of the settings from the lts.conf file.

2. The 'get_cfg' function is in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ltsp_functions. It
uses the program '/opt/ltsp/i386/bin/getltscfg' to parse and extract
the values from lts.conf.

I would think you could replace getltscfg with your own program/script
which queries your mssql db for the values.