I use a solution posted by Eric Harrison in late January. The only trick
is when the user changes printers, using the "Printers" options under
"System Tools", they have to then select the GtkLP tab and click "Save"
for the settings to stick.

Following is text of Eric's post:

> The printer configuration and management tools in the RH8.1 beta are
> quite nice.  I have been trying to back-port these new tools to
> K12LTSP 3.0.x, but it has been more trouble than it is worth.
>
> As a short-term fix, I can accomplish roughly the same user-level
> control with GTKLP. The admin-side config is not as nice, but that
> is less important that the user-level interaction.
>
> GTKLP requires CUPS, RH73/RH80 (and thus K12LTSP 2.1.x/3.0.x) default
> to LPRng. Note that RH81 will default to CUPS. If you want to test
> GTKLP,
> you have to rip out LPRng and install/configure CUPS:
>
> 1) remove LPRng:
>
>         rpm -e LPRng redhat-config-printer redhat-config-printer-gui
>
> 2) install cups, cups-drivers, cups-drivers-hpijs, gimp-print-cups
>
>         up2date -i cups cups-drivers cups-drivers-hpijs
> gimp-print-cups
>
> 3) start cups:
>
>         /sbin/service cups start
>         /sbin/chkconfig cups on
>
> 4) point your web browser to http://localhost:631
>    Click on "Printers" and then "Add Printer", login with the root
> password
>    and follow the configuration menus.
>
> 5) install GTKLP:
>
>    K12LTSP 2.1.x:

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/2.1.2/testing/gtklp-0.9m-1.k12ltsp.2.2.1.i386.rpm

>    K12LTSP 3.0.x:

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/gtklp-0.9m-1.k12ltsp.2.3.0.i386.rpm

> 6) you will now have two new entries in the "System Tools" menus,
> "Printers"
>    and "Print Queues". You can drag-n-drop these onto your desktop for
>    convienience. New users will automatically get these icons on their
>    desktops.
>
>   "Printers" lets you pick which printer you want to print to and
> options
>   such as double-sided printing, gamma correction, etc, etc. The
> "Printers"
>   icon supports drag-n-drop.
>
>   "Print queues" is a print queue management utility: delete jobs,
> pause
>   printers, etc, etc.
>

> -Eric

END OF ERIC"S POST